Translate

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Paragliding - my first long duration flight

As our holiday was over and both Pallavi and I had to do our flying tasks we were told to come back on weekdays, as weekends were always crowded. Pallavi and I decided to return on the 12th and 13th of May and my nephew enrolled for the P2 immediately. So we were back at Kamshet and this time stayed at the farmhouse instead of travelling up-down from Lonavla.

Parsha, the youngest instructor was demonstrating how to kite with Vikas another instructor pulling at the risers so that the glider collapses. This was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. Parsha is a skinny lad, but the skill and control he demonstrated with the glider was amazing. For about ten minutes he had the glider up in the air and did not let it touch the ground, I wish I had taken my camera and filmed this for educative purposes. Vikas used to pull the risers and the glider used to start tilting and collapsing and Parsha would pull the brakes and corresponding risers to set the glider right again, this was truly inspiring.

At Shelar, on 12th May we did the trek with the gliders, the usual kiting before climbing up the hill at around 4.30pm for the flight. On the ground, it was Pankaj and Parsha who were helping with the kiting. I kept telling them boss I know what to do, but the body does not listen to the mind. In fact the kids got their ground handling tasks accomplished way before I could, their minds are open and motor skills are fresh and not eroded as happens with the passage of time. I was proud of both the kids in getting their kiting tasks accomplished within a short span of time.

Avi, could not come to Shelar on Tuesday, so we had TJ (short for Tanaji) as the flight instructor to guide us in the flight. Once we were up, I was asked to get in the harness, Vikas helped me buckle up and TJ came to do the pre-flight checks with me. He loosened my shoulder and leg straps and went to talk to another flyer on the walkie talkie. I felt that the shoulder straps and leg straps were too loose and tightened them up a bit and waited for TJ to come. He came and immediately spotted the tightened straps and asked me very sternly in Marathi – “you don’t trust the flight instructor is it, why did you tighten the straps?” I looked very sheepish and said “of course, I do”. We loosened the straps, I spoke into the walkie talkie saying that all pre-flight checks done – ready for take off. As the wind came up, I was asked to raise the glider run and take off, which happened quite smoothly. I had been given a flight path to follow, which was straight out, then take a right with weight shifts and fly along the ridge line far enough and turn back. I was a bit tense as this was going to be my first solo long flight, and the not too confident ground handling had left cobwebs in my mind. But after TJ told me to sit down in the harness, and as I started catching the updraft, I was rising pretty fast and the people below were becoming smaller and smaller. TJ then pretty much left me to do what I wanted.

Up there in the open sky, with only yourself for company, you do not get too many thoughts and can just sit back and enjoy the flight. I flew alone and a couple of times TJ called to say “good decision sir, keep it up”, which was really encouraging. Once I got the hang of the glider I was very comfortable flying it. I did my hands free flying for about ten minutes, turning the glider using my body catching the updraft along the ridge and going higher than the hill. I was now flying at about 1500 feet and the sound of the wind rushing through your ears is something that can only be experienced. There were other flyers in the sky and one had to keep them in sight and remember the right of way rules and fly accordingly. I did my big ears task and 360 degree turns. The big ears task basically involves pulling both the outermost A risers equally, which makes the gliders canopy fold up thus giving the glider lesser area for wind resistance, this makes the glider come down faster, then with simultaneous 360 degree turns the rate of descent increases. After, I did these tasks, TJ told me to enjoy my flight, and once asked me to wiggle my feet if I was enjoying the flight. I wiggled and wiggled and he laughed at that and said enjoy yourself sir!

I flew alone and enjoyed a complete 360 degree panoramic view of the hill side, this is something which I will never forget – wish I had taken my camera. The view from up there is so beautiful and you are alone and at complete peace with yourself. No honking cars no people talking just silence and the sound of the wind, that’s it. Such beauty and peace at the same time, I could have flown on for ever. I was in the sky for over an hour and could see the setting sun. TJ called on the radio to make my approach for landing. One of the rules is not to fly towards the cliff, and while making the landing approach, I did just that, but I thought I was fairly safe and was turning away from the cliff when TJ called and said “sir you are not supposed to fly towards the cliff”. As I had already lost a considerable amount of height, I had to turn around and into the wind to approach the landing target which is a ring with a 5 foot radius and a bulls eye in the center. I was trying to land on the bulls eye but missed the target and overshot by about 6 to 7 feet for a perfect landing. I was pretty satisfied with my flight and so was TJ at the debrief. All in all a wonderful experience – looking forward to flying again soon.

This note will be incomplete without a mention of the flight instructors, Avi the owner of Templepilots is always unflappable, supportive, encouraging without losing his sternness and wry humor where required. TJ, Parsha, Pankaj, Ganpat and Vikas are always there to help and encourage you and correct you. Not once do these guys lose their temper, even though you realize you are making a fool of yourself while kiting, repeating the same mistakes ad nauseum ad infinitum! Kudos to the team and may your cup be full to the brim always!

No comments: