Translate

Monday, August 3, 2009

Television’s two controversial programs

I have been asked by quite a few friends as to why I have stopped writing – apparently they are missing their daily fix from reading the blog – this is quite encouraging, hence I have decided to write again, but try and give a positive spin to whatever I write. This is because whatever I wrote ended up in criticism of the system with my thoughts for improvement thrown in. The first thought which came to my mind was to write about the current two controversial shows on TV – “Sach ka Saamna” and “Rakhee ka Swayamwar”. I have not watched either of these shows, but I have my views on them, for better or for worse.

At the outset let me say that the program “Sach Ka Saamna” attracts people who derive vicarious pleasure in seeing strangers squirm in the hot seat. My view is that this copy of the American show “The Moment of Truth” is nothing but a crude attempt at buying participants with titillating or sensationalistic question-answer sessions by awarding prize money to the participants. I am sure the participants – whether male or female – discuss amongst themselves the likely questions and answers and decide to participate – even though it brings shame to the family (in the Indian context) because along with the shame comes oodles of money – and time will take care of the shame. Out of sight is always out of mind – and money buys everything anyways in today’s society – one mans meat is another mans poison as the saying goes. The moot question is whether people will be willing to share their peccadilloes if the money offered was piffling – or this was a cultural show where truth must prevail has any social bearing or impact. In fact, if such a show needs to be aired, then the target participants should be industrialists, film star, bureaucrats, politicians, sportspersons, etc who have influence and an impact on society. Exposing such people on the program could possibly help in improving governance and exposing hidden scams – but I am sure this will be too hot for the media channels to handle. Everything is business – and what sells is what people want to see.

The other show which is making waves and attracting eyeballs is “Rakhi ka Swayamwar” – this is another show in which viewers get to see some kind of titillation with the effervescent Rakhi interviewing and rejecting various participants and then sort listing the one she would get engaged to! Well, if people get excited by watching such drivel, then I guess the media channels are dishing out programs which carry the flavor of the day. Today, it is Rakhi’s engagement, tomorrow it could be her “wedding”, then God knows what, finally culminating in a “divorce”. I personally do not think a “marriage” carried out in full view of the public is going to last – if it does I will be very happy. This is a “marriage” made for the moolah it is dishing out – it is money for making a spectacle out of one’s self – so if there is any sanctity in the institution of this marriage I have yet to see it.

The noise the public (so called social workers) and Parliament have made over these programs is something which I have failed to understand. By giving unwanted publicity to the shows, these guys have actually pushed people who would normally not watch these shows into watching them. What I fail to understand is that these shows are on pay channels, which you are free not to subscribe to and if you have subscribed to it you are free to not watch these particular programs. I fail to see why our august Parliamentarians should get all excited and talk about self-regulation for the media or talk about setting up a media regulatory authority! In a democracy – especially in a mature one (I personally think we have matured) – I do not see any reason why the government should interfere as long as the content is not downright degrading or morally perverse. The concept of freedom of choice should prevail – freedom to the media to telecast what they think would attract the relevant eyeballs and freedom to the viewer to decide whether he/she wants to watch the programs which are dished out. Ultimately, if the viewers decide that the content is not good, the programs won’t go on air as they won’t attract the kind of viewer ship which will give the media channels the TRPs to pull in the ad revenue. My view is it is a free country and the good and bad can easily be decided by the paying public, as long as the programs do not become downright vulgar!

No comments: