Translate

Friday, April 5, 2013

Experience - ISKCON

I had to put this down in writing as I realised that it was a play of consciousness. Let me start by giving a bit of background. I had bought a Bhagvad Gita about 15 years ago from ISKCON by Swami Prabhupada, and then someone had taken it and not returned it - who I do not recollect. A thought used to always play at the back of my mind that I need to read the Bhagvad Gita and I should find time to go and get one. But somehow this never happened over the passage of time.

Yesterday, after meditation, as usual I was going home when the car halted at the Kherwadi signal. The traffic stops at this signal for quite some time. I was listening to Osho's discourse on the Ashtavakra Gita with my eyes closed when i heard a knocking on the window. I saw someone with books and I assumed that it was one of those hawkers who peddle pirated novels and I ignored him. After a few moments, the gentleman gain knocked on the window and I looked up at his face and noticed he was in a tonsured state, then I looked at his face and he was happily smiling and gesturing for me to lower the window. It was around 7.30pm and twilight had set in - on lowering the window I noticed he had the saffron robes of an ISKCON disciple. Once I lowered the window he thrust a book into my hands through the window and told me give whatever donation i thought fit. I looked at the book and noticed it was the Bhagvad Gita in complete detail by Shrimad Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada! I thought that I would donate Rs. 500 and put my hand into my pocket to bring out my wallet. By this time the signal had gone green, and Bharat had started moving forward. The ISKCON disciple told Bharat to drive slowly and started running alongside the car - he told me, "Sir, give my Rs. 500 as donation" - the exact amount which I had thought of! I gave him the money and he thrust his entire stock of Bhagvad Gita - 3 in English and 1 in Hindi into my hands and told me take them all. He asked for my visiting card which was in my bag, but the traffic behind had started creating a racket - hooting away in impatience! As I started opening my bag, he gave me a piece of paper and a pen and asked me to write down my cell number, which I did. As I gave him his pen and paper he said, "go with Krishna, we will get in touch with you."

Just a small incident, but I realised that it was a play of consciousness and the extra books have been given to me to distribute to whosover wants them.

Hare Krishna Hare Rama

Jai Baba Swami

No comments: