Translate

Thursday, August 12, 2021

The Brahmanaad or Cosmic Sound

 

Photo Credit: Ayush Darpan - Chanting of Om
                                                   

The Brahmanaad or Cosmic Sound

In many spiritual discourses we have heard Gurus or Spiritual Masters talk about the Brahmanaad or Cosmic Sound. I always used to wonder what it would be like to hear this sound. The sound of creation, will it be just a hummmmm or will it be something more divine, more profound, or something which is beyond description.

Sometime in August of 2017 I sat for meditation at 3.40am. I was in deep meditation after a chanting the Guru-mantra. My head had become heavy and it was resting on my chest. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I heard a slight popping sound in my left ear. It was as if a door shut at a distance. A couple of seconds later, I had the same experience in my right ear too. I felt a certain numbness. The kind we feel when there’s a sudden drop in air pressure – like descending in a high-speed elevator or when we hit an air pocket while flying in an aeroplane and there is a sudden drop in air pressure and our ears get blocked! Along with this, I felt an emptiness in my stomach. Everything went numb. I was filled with a sense of void. It filled my being. Then, suddenly, I heard a humming sound – hummmmmmmmmmmmm, hummmmmmmmmm….. It is was the most divine cosmic sound I had ever heard.

It started at the centre of my crown, filled my entire scalp, and gradually filled me up. As if, I was an empty vessel waiting to be filled with bliss. The sound was reverberating within me, it was in every atom and cell of my body, the sound and its divine vibration became me. I became them. I was one with the cosmos. I became the cosmos.

To my bodily senses, it felt like it lasted for just a few seconds, but when I opened my eyes, an hour had passed by. It was like being in a psychedelic trance. Lost in oblivion. As much as I desired, I never got this experience again. Therein lies a lesson for all of us. As Osho once said, “Spiritual experiences are progress reports as well as obstacles to future progress. This is simply because once you get a divine spiritual experience, it registers in your mind. Then, the expectation that this occurrence will repeat itself arises in the mind. This is the obstacle, as you cannot progress with expectation. The trick is to get rid of all expectations and experiences, every time you sit for meditation.”

What helps is a simple prayer that whatever experiences are bestowed upon me are with your divine grace, I surrender them to you. Whatever I experience is yours and I surrender it to you. Keep me free from ego, let me remain an empty vessel to be filled and emptied with every divine experience. Therefore, I live in complete surrender to you, O Gurudev – nothing is ‘mine’, everything is ‘YOURS’.


No comments: