Translate

Monday, July 12, 2021

Activities for Spiritual Upliftment

 


Activities for Spiritual Upliftment

Over the past twelve years that I have been practicing Samarpan Meditation I have observed certain aspects which help one in one’s spiritual upliftment. This post is about sharing these observations or insights. Initially it was all about ‘doing’ meditation, going to the centre for ‘doing’ group meditation and so on. It was all about doing. Then slowly realisation dawned that where there is ‘doing’, there is the ‘I’-sense, the ego. If we sit down to ‘do’ meditation we are sitting with an ego of ‘I am meditating’. This will not do! The very essence of meditation is to lose the ‘I’. After realising this, I started using the phrase ‘I am going for meditation’, I stopped using the word ‘doing’, hardly every use ‘I’, ‘me’, ‘myself’ in conversations and started using more collective pronouns than the individual ones! This helped me substantially in dropping the ‘I’-sense.

Another thing that I realised was whatever activity we are doing, if we do it with the feeling that we are just mediums for this activity then the activity actually starts happening by itself. You do not feel that ‘you’ are doing it; your workload increases, your efficiency increases and people start asking how do you manage to do so many things in such a short period of time. Frankly, I never do anything, things just start happening, it is as if the universe is conspiring to help you on your spiritual journey. While doing any activity your happiness content goes up, there is joy of spirit and that automatically reflects in the quality of your work. You get the feeling that whatever you are doing, you are doing it for Him, so the karma of the activity does not get attached to you.

When you lose the sense of being a doer, you begin to multitask automatically and several things get done through you in the same given time frame – this is something like CPM-PERT training in management school, but on a much more micro level!

With meditation, everything becomes more focused, more intense, more joyous and that joy is reflected in your actions, in your radiance, in your entire being – it is visible to the people who interact with you. You are often told that your face is glowing and so on, though personally I find myself basically to be the same person I was 50 years ago, but with very little anger, and same sense of fun and laughter – basically a teenager and not a 60-years old person. As they say, you age physically but remain a teenager mentally! That’s what spiritually uplifting activities do to you!